Doris is a founding partner of Carter & Tani, along with Christine Tani. She is an experienced franchise and business attorney who enjoys counseling, advising and preparing legal documents for her clients, including national franchisors, regional subfranchisors, franchisees and independent business owners.
After initially practicing with a law firm in Chicago, Doris took a position as a staff attorney with a franchise company where she learned franchise law "on-the-job". That in-house position also gave her the opportunity to learn about the business side of franchising. When that company was later sold, Doris knew that she wanted to continue her career practicing franchise law. Not long after, she and Christine established Carter & Tani.
Doris is a member of the American Bar Association, the ABA Forum on Franchising, the DuPage County Bar Association, and the DuPage Association of Women Lawyers.
Doris received her undergraduate degree with honors in Business Administration from University of Illinois and graduated with honors from Loyola University of Chicago School of Law.
Outside of work, Doris enjoys spending time with her family and friends, including her husband, daughter and son-in-law, and the family dogs. She and her husband enjoy travel, biking, rehabbing homes, and reading.
She has served various community and philanthropic organizations and is active in her local and regional church. She volunteers at her church's local food pantry. For the past 15 years, she has coordinated an annual mission work trip which has taken her all over the country to help the impoverished and victims of natural disasters.
Areas Of Practice
- Franchise Law and Related Business Transactions
- Illinois, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1981
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: With Honors
- University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Business Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising
- DuPage County Bar Association
- DuPage Association of Women Lawyers (Past Board Member)
Past Employment Positions
- Comprehensive Accounting Corp., Staff Attorney, 1985 to 1990
- Cooney & Stenn, Attorney, 1980 to 1985